So, you have made up your mind to install a security camera. Your house will be safe from now on. But the time passes by, and you realize that your device needs protection as well – there are numerous dangers outside that may hinder its effective performance. Bad weather, damage to the wires, insects and even thieves – all that are the possible risks. Thus, in this article, we are going to explore how to protect security camera.
How to Protect CCTV Camera from Rain
There are numerous ways to shield your equipment from harsh weather conditions, including rain.
- You may check your device housing IP (ingress protection) rating which shows the ability to withstand elements. The first number indicates the protection against solid matters (for example, dust or other coarse particles). The second number shows the degree to which your device is protected against rainwater leakage. The higher the number is, the better barrier is provided.
- If you are still worried, you may buy an additional box, enclosure or housing, or CCTV camera rain cover.
- Also, it won’t hurt to make sure that all the cables are waterproofed properly.
- Another solution may be junction boxes – they will hide the cables and connectors.
- To keep your CCTV camera dry inside, you may place a packet of silica gel inside the housing case.
How to Protect CCTV Cameras from Lightning
Lightning protection for outdoor CCTV is an issue of vital importance, since a single lightning strike can literally kill your equipment.
- Use security camera weather shield and check whether your outdoor security system is grounded. In this case, the lightning will discharge into the earth instead of your security system.
- Do not install a Wi-Fi security camera on a metal pole – it attracts electrical charge from a thunder cloud.
- Devices called lightning surge protectors can redirect the voltage securely.
- If you do not want your equipment to switch off because of a sudden black-out, use UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) units.
How to Protect CCTV Cameras from Theft
An increasing number of house owners nowadays wonder how to protect CCTV camera from being stolen. We would like to offer a couple of simple but effective solutions.
- First of all, try to choose a good spot for installing your expensive equipment. It should not be easy to find or reach! You can place it somewhere under the roof, and fasten it tightly using a screw mount.
- Also, you may apply metal housing – in addition to protecting your camera from thieves, it will become a robust shield from dust and dirt.
- In order to hide your equipment from the greedy eyes, you may choose among camouflage skin suits for cameras available in various shapes and sizes. It can look quite interesting – like a birdhouse, for example.
How to Protect Security Camera Wires
Not only the camera, but also the wiring needs proper handling and safety. Let us talk about a few ways of ensuring that.
- First of all, make sure to use high-quality durable and outdoor-rated cables – they should be able to withstand the harsh weather conditions outside.
- As we have already mentioned, junction boxes are a great solution to collect the wires in one place, to hide them from sight and secure them effectively.
- Also, it is vital to waterproof the cables using plastic conduit or cable connector waterproof lip.
Even if you are not going to use these devices, remember to conceal all the wire holes. If the water gets to the wires, your equipment can break easily, so here is what you can do:
- Put some waterproof materials into the holes (for example, duct seal or silicone).
- Leave drip loops, in order to redirect the water streams from the power outlets.
- Use waterproof outdoor covers.
We hope, the tips provided in this article will be useful for you.
Need to install security system, cameras or smart home devices? Looking for locksmith Henderson NV? Protecht is always ready to help!